Stephen Greenberg is an Attorney with 30+ years of experience handling civil litigation and administrative proceedings, and his experience representing employers (and occasional current or former executive employees ) to provide consultation and guidance about numerous human resources and employee relations issues and disputes as they are unfolding in real time and can occasionally be managed to an agreed conclusion, avoiding litigation or other dispute.
Stephen’s representation of employer clients (and occasional current or former executive employee clients) has included preparation and negotiation of many employment-related agreements (such as, for example, employment contracts for professional and executive employees, employee retention and incentive agreements, separation agreements and separation packages, non-disclosure and intellectual property assignment agreements, non-compete and non-solicitation agreements), and assisting employers in the creation and publication of employee handbooks and various employment policies and procedures (such as policies prohibiting harassment and procedures for investigating reports of harassment, equal employment opportunity policies, affirmative action plans, disciplinary policies, conflict of interest policies, compensation policies and bonus/commission plans, Paid Time Off policies, drug-testing policies, relocation and educational benefit policies and related self-amortizing employee loan documents, and many more).
Stephen has conducted independent investigations for employers and has also provided guidance to management for handling and resolving innumerable ongoing employee relations controversies, including assisting clients in the preparation of employee counseling and probationary employment instruments, assisting employers in evaluating misconduct and performance issues with a view to fashioning an appropriate employer response proportional to the infraction, from counseling and coaching employees to more formal performance improvement plans and employee appraisals and evaluations, to termination of employment when necessary.
Stephen’s litigation experience has included service as lead counsel in the trial of two class-wide claims filed and prosecuted by the U.S. Department of Justice against state agencies & local governmental units, in addition to his handling of numerous individual claims in the courts.
Areas of Practice
- Civil Litigation
- Administrative Proceedings
- U.S. District Court Western District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit
- Supreme Court of the United States of America
- The University of Texas School of Law, Austin, Texas
- Juris Doctor – 1976
- The University of Texas at Austin
- Bachelor of Arts – 1971
- Major: Philosophy and Asian Studies
Honors and Awards
- “AV®”* Peer-Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell (* highest registered certification mark of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Texas Attorney General’s Office, Assistant Attorney General, Highway Division, 1977 – 1982
- Martin, Cox, Greenberg & Jones (Austin), 1982 – 1987
- Small, Craig & Werkenthin, P.C., Partner, Shareholder, 1987 – 1993
- Small, Craig & Werkenthin, P.C., Of counsel, 1993 – 1998
- Stephen Greenberg, Attorney/Counselor at Law, solo practitioner, 1993 – Present