Provider Letter 17-36 ? If there’s an Immediate Threat of Harm to the health and safety of residents at an Assisted Living Facilities during an On-site Inspection HHSC is authorized by HSC §247.042 to suspend the facility’s license or immediately close the facility. The inspector will conclude the review if, after reviewing documentation and reviewing sufficient evidence, the inspector determines that the residents are no longer at risk of serious injury, impairment or death.
According to the provider letter by DADS and immediate threat of harm can be corrected by:
• eliminating the direct threat;
• removing the resident(s) at risk;
• reducing the immediacy of the threat; or
• reducing the severity of the threat.
Documentation should include:
• a description of how the violation will be corrected;
• a description of how affected residents will be identified;
• the steps that will be taken to monitor the changes;
• the actions the facility will take to ensure the violation will not reoccur; and
• a timeline for accomplishing the corrections.
Surveyors may confirm the facility has addressed the immediate threat by:
• interviewing affected residents;
• interviewing appropriate staff; and
• observing the resolution of the immediate threat
Reveiw Provider Letter for further details.