DADS released three information letters.
HCS and TxHmL:
These providers must be in compliance with nursing changes by January 1, 2012, with the following requirements:
HCS and TxHmL program providers must be in compliance by January 1, 2012 with the following requirements:
• All licensed vocational nurses (LVNs) must be clinically supervised by a registered nurse (RN).
• Program providers must have a written plan and schedule to complete an initial comprehensive nursing assessment for all individuals enrolled in HCS.
HCS and TxHmL program providers must be in compliance by March 1, 2012 with the following requirements:
• LVNs participating in the pilot project may perform on-call services by telephone only if all conditions for pilot participation have been met. On-call services are defined as providing telephone services any time of the day or night to make an assessment by phone of non-urgent, urgent, and emergency conditions or issues an individual may experience. On-call services also includes providing instructions to an unlicensed person over the phone regarding a condition.
• LVNs who are not participating in the pilot project cannot provide on-call services.
HCS and TxHmL program providers must be in compliance by May 1, 2012 with the following requirements:
• Data reflecting nursing on-call services for March 1, 2012 and thereafter must be entered into the Client Assignment and Registration System (CARE). A separate information letter will be posted outlining the reporting requirements in CARE.
An RN may exempt an HCS foster/companion care provider from the Board of Nursing definition of unlicensed person if the specified conditions are met. You will find the information at Question 5 on the FAQs page. (Letter)
CBA nursing assessments will be required twice a year instead of four times a year, effective January 20, 2012. (Letter)